On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 12:20:54AM -0500, Mike R. Cannon wrote:
> Sorry about the last mail.  I have more information on my problem.  On
> the machine where I have ide cdrom writers working, a cdrecord -scanbus
> provides:
>
> scsibus0:
>         0,0,0     0) 'MATSHITA' 'UJDA330         ' '1.04' Removable
> CD-ROM
>         0,1,0     1) *
>         0,2,0     2) *
>         0,3,0     3) *
>         0,4,0     4) *
>         0,5,0     5) *
>         0,6,0     6) *
>         0,7,0     7) *
>
> On the machine where it is NOT working, a cdrecord -scanbus provides:
> scsibus0:
>         0,0,0     0) 'COMPAQPC' 'DDYS-T18350N    ' 'B93E' Disk
>         0,1,0     1) *
>         0,2,0     2) 'COMPAQPC' 'DDYS-T18350N    ' 'B93E' Disk
>         0,3,0     3) *
>         0,4,0     4) *
>         0,5,0     5) *
>         0,6,0     6) *
>         0,7,0     7) *
>
> On the machine where it does not work I have a couple of scsi hard
> drives.  I think by default the ide-scsi part is pointing to /dev/scd0
> which could conflict with where the scsi disk is?  Do I need to point
> the ide-scsi driver to a location and if so, how do I do that?

Well I would assume it is getting confused since it already has a
scsi adapter loaded.  Is sr_mod and sg even modules in the kernel?
Perhaps if you just FORCED ide-scsi to load on boot, instead of trying
the messy modprobe mess you have, it might work better.  And there is
nothing wrong with using ide-scsi for all your ide cdrom drives, even
the non cd-rw ones.  So if you simply use rc.modules or /etc/modules or
whatever your distribution has, to force load ide-scsi on boot, then sg
and sr_mod should auto detect the drives when needed.

Len Sorensen