>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Wed Jun 12 21:01:01 2002

>On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>> >I will release a newer version once I either have some spare time, or once
>> >I find a serious problem in the current version.
>> You name it! You are a person who did make useless changes on the build system
>> for unknown reasons and your only motivation was to have a private copy of
>> cdrecord running for your A03. This way we never will get good and powerfull
>> free software.

>He released his source code to the public. It doesn't have any license
>keys, it doesn't have any timebombs (June 17).

Again: he did not contribute a single line of own code and the key expires
on Jan 12th 2003 - just check before posting!

>You stated one reason to keep cdrecord-prodvd secret is to prevent
>companies to steal the code and put in some closed source application. But
>dvdtools is now there, open source, and anyone can see the "magic code to
>write DVDs".

It does only implement about 1/4th od DVD related code compared to what's in
cdrecord-ProDVD......

For parts of it, there is no similar code in any other known software.
You see, it protects.....

>Is there really any reason to keep cdrecord-prodvd closed source anymore?
>The genie is out of the bottle so to speak.

See above...

>> Cdrtools come with a standard build system!

>But it doesn't write DVDs...

Cdrecord-ProDVD does write DVDs with more different drives than the so called
"free" one and runs on more different OS because it does not use a broken
autoconfiguration.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]               (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]           (work) chars I am J"org Schilling