I have the same problem. My system is automatically
receiving files over the network and archiving them to
CD-R. I wanted a way to automatically determine in my
own program when the CD-R would be full when selecting
files to be put on the CD-R. For this to be accurate
you need to know the filesystem overhead (as you
clearly state). I tried looking at the mkisofs code to
figure this out but it was more complicated than I was
willing to do so instead I used the command "mkisofs
-print-size <DIR>" to determine how big an ISO of that
directory would be. I then compare it to my disc size,
if there is more room I add another file. I do this in
my program after each file I select to put on the CD-R
to make sure I don't overrun the media size. This is
terribly inefficent but I don't know what else to do.
To help minimize the number of calls to -print-size I
changed my program so I only call it after the size of
the files equals 90%+ of the media size (only do
accurate size check when rough size check is getting
close to full). It is still slow but tolerable. Any
other suggestions would be appreciated.