On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 03:58:06PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm sure everybody has seen the Slashdot article about the Yamaha drive
> that write images, etc in the part of a CDR/CDRW in the unused space
> that's viewable by the naked eye
> (http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/06/24/1227200&tid=126).  I didn't
> see this in the archives, so I was wondering if there's any interest or
> development on this type of thing for "regular" CDR/CDRW drives?
>
> Would it be as simple as turning on the laser to burn the parts of the
> disk that you would want to appear different?  Then it just needs to be
> figured out how to get everything lined up as you move toward the outside
> of the disk.  (Gross simplification.  I don't remember most of those angle
> formulas from math class.)

I suspect it would require very detailed knowledge of the media and
drive, and probably require manually doing all the ECC data as well,
if you want to be able to do an image.  What Yamaha did was neat, but
not very practical I suspect.  I certainly don't imagine it doable in
general on generic hardware.

Len Sorensen