On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:22:17PM -0700, Frank Hage wrote:
> On 2002.11.06, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> :
> :
> : >From: Matthias Schniedermeyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> :
> : >> : But DVD-* media is cheaper and I see no advantage in using DVD+ media.
> : >>
> : >> Other advantages are the ability to completely fill the disks (> 4 GB
> : >> iso files are a problem on 32 bit systems) and not needing free space
> : >> for the disk images.
> :
> : >"When you don't know what you are talking about. Shut up". :-)
> :
> : See above ;-)......
> :
> : >I burn DVD-Rs for more than a year now and from day one on i had never
> : >problems with file-sizes (*1) (*2)
> :
>
> I'm sorry.  I forgot that DVD +/- geeks were having a religious war. ;-)

You say it. There is only one god. :-)

> Yes, you .de guys are right. Your Mileage Varies greatly from mine.

A few month ago i even read an articel in our "Linux Magazin" about the
"2GB Barrier" (The Topic was DVD-Recording). I felt like beeing warped
back into the stoneage. :-)

> However, perhaps you should look at it from my point of view. Often
> "Confused and Ignorant", I go on trying to do my real job using computers
> my institution provides and supports. Stability is a big issue in my work,
> so we often run SEVERAL YEARS behind current releases on our computers. We
> do this on purpose, because they need to collect and process data 24/7,
> often for years at a time. I have limited options and little patience
> for chasing development/alpha software.  Yes, DVD- works great for you
> after you patched, updated, split, etc... and then, what... diddled
> Joerg for a cdrecord key? Perhaps I don't have that option.

For burning i only had to recompile mkisofs because the version from my
distribution wasn't compiled right, it couldn't create an image >2GB.
But besides that i didn't had to change anything else in my system.

So i've never splitted my images, since the 2GB Barrier was gone since
2.4pre<whatever> and i used 2.4.4 or 2.4.9 the time i burned my first
DVD-R.

For reading files bigger 1GB the kernel had to be patched because
otherwise the file would be shown as 16MB or something like that.

No keys back then. The binary was the key, i got my "own" cdrecord. The
keys came later.

And another "thing" i never had problems with and where other people
have a variing milage is firewire.

Since day one i use the DVD-R connected via a IDE <-> Firewire
enclosure. It took about 10 "try"s until i finally had my first
DVD-R-coaster. :-)

Bis denn