Joerg Schilling wrote:
From: Rob Bogus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

As someone who does not use Linux, I would say it is not the user's
fault.  When that bit is set, it means the first extent is Macintosh
resource fork data.  That bit was put into the standard specifically
for that purpose.  Linux should make it _extremely_ difficult to
handle an extent flagged in that fashion as anything but a resource
fork (and Linux likely has no use for a resource fork except when
serving files to Macintoshes).

The user deliberately selected an option to make those forks visible.
Linux doesn't (deliberately) make things dificult, it just makes the
default safe in most cases, and allows you to make a choice. If you ask
to see the fork you can't complain that the fork is visible.

Solaris does support extended attributes and could be made able to
make the files visible in a decent way ;-)

I have no Mac to try, I do have some Solaris machines, although I normally just use them as servers. Does this mean that Solaris could be a a fileserver for Macs? Or just that Solaris would let you see and/or use the forks in a useful way?

In any case, my point was that if you ask for something unpleasant to happen, it's not the o/s fault. Implementing "rm -r /" is not a Linux "bug," or Solaris or AIX or whatever. Distributed intelligence means above and below the keyboard.

--
E. Robert Bogusta
  It seemed like a good idea at the time