Dear masters of DVD writing!

We are planning to switch from tape backups to DVD backups in our
institute at the university.

Our backup server is a alpha SX164, with a Promise PDC20267 UDMA100 IDE
controller, running debian/woody.

I have the following questions:
- Is writing of DVDs supported on alpha architecture, and if yes, is it
  still `buggy' or ok?
  For cdrecord-prodvd I do not see alpha/linux architecture. For
  dvd+rw-tools I have built my own backport from the debian/sid package,
  but got the following errors compiling:
growisofs.c: In function `setup_fds':
growisofs.c:503: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
growisofs.c:508: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
growisofs.c:517: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
growisofs.c: In function `main':
growisofs.c:1778: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
growisofs.c:1778: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size

- Can I put the DVD writer on the Promise controller?
  I know that there are some controllers which do not accept CDROM
  drives (my HPT eg).

- Finally, which DVD writer could you recommend?
  Our main/only usage will be for backing up snapshots of the
  filesystem. From the following list, which do you think is most
  suitable:
        Plextor PX708A
        LG M4040B-R
        LG M4081B-B
        Benq DW400A
        Benq DW800A
        Asus DRW-0402P/D
        Sony DRU-530A
        Philips DVD 824
        Philips DVD 208K
        Pioneer DVR-107D
        MSI DR8-A
        NEC ND-2500
  Personally I have very good experiences with Plextor drives, so I tend
  to them, but alas, they are expensive, and our university is very
  picky with money.

(really last one for now)
- Do you know a `good' backup program for DVD?

Thanks a lot for any suggestion/help/warning!

Best wishes

Norbert

Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at>         Technische Universität Wien
LOW EGGBOROUGH (n.)
A quiet little unregarded man in glasses who is building a new kind of
atomic bomb in his garden shed.
                        --- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff