On 02/06/11 02:30, Alan Garny wrote:
Hi Andrew,

I am not into that kind of modelling, so just a few general comments from
me:
  - Do we really want to go with csymbol? From your document, I understand
that it might be to keep compatibility with CellML 1.0 and 1.1? If so, then
I really don't see why you would want that, since most (all?) of the
existing CellML-capable software are unable to deal with uncertainty. So, it
might just be better (cleaner) to use 'proper' element names?

Hi Alan,

I consider csymbol to be the cleanest way to add new operators that aren't a standard part of MathML - certainly that is the approach that is taken in SBML and all the other proposals I've seen. Inventing a new operator element could be an alternative approach, but the MathML specification doesn't seem to encourage that way of doing things.

  - Why "uncert1" (as opposed to, say, "uncert" or something that doesn't
have a "1" in it) in the csymbol definition URL?

The 1 is intended to be a version number in case we come up with a later incompatible specification and want to bump the version number.

  - Regarding your two examples, it would help the reader if you were to
mathematically introduce them rather than just provide the corresponding
CellML code.

I'm planning on updating the document shortly, and I'll look into making this change in the process - probably just by providing a rendered version of some of the equations or a bit of surrounding text.

  - Regarding the CellML code you give as an example, it might help to put
the units definitions before the component definition.

I'm concerned that if I do that, the units will detract a bit too much from the main point, and they are really intended to be a minor detail.

Also, it would be
good to respect the indentation (especially for the math element), and use a
smaller font or reduce the margins, if necessary.

I certainly don't think it can be any wider on the page without wrapping or overflowing; currently everything is using the default settings of the DocBook renderers being used, and I'm trying to avoid having to change that, so it can be 'standard DocBook'.

Best wishes,
Andrew

Alan