Celtic and Old English Saints          17 October

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
* St. Louthiern of Cornwall
* St. Nothelm of Canterbury
* St. Colman of Kilroot
* St. Ethelbert and St. Ethelred of Kent
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

St.Louthiern of Cornwall, Bishop
6th century. The Irish Saint Louthiern, patron of Saint Ludgvan in
Cornwall, may be identical to Saint Luchtighern (f.d. April 28), abbot
of Ennistymon, who is associated with Saint Ita (f.d. January 15)
(Benedictines).

Troparion of St Louthiern tone 1
Both in Ireland and in Cornwall thou didst win many souls for Christ/ by
preaching and witness, O Father Louthiern./ Wherefore as we seek to
emulate thy holy example, O Saint, beseech Christ our God that He both
bless us and grant us His great mercy.

St. Nothelm of Canterbury, Bishop
Died c. 740. A priest in London, he was named archbishop of Canterbury
in 734. In his preface to his "Ecclesiastical History," the historian
the Venerable Bede (f.d. May 27) acknowledges that the chief authority
for his work was Abbot Albinus, who passed along to him the
recollections of Nothelm, including the research Nothelm had done in
Roman archives on the history of Kent and adjacent areas. Nothelm was
also a correspondent of Saint Boniface (f.d. June 5) (Benedictines,
Delaney).

St. Colman of Kilroot, Bishop
6th century. Bishop Colman of Kilroot, near Carrickfergus, was a
disciple of Saint Ailbe of Emly (f.d. September 12). He retained his
abbacy while also in the episcopal chair (Benedictines).

Kill-Ruaidh, called in mediaeval records, Kilroigh, Kilruaigh, Kilroe, and
Kilrothe, gave name to the present parish of Kilroot. The "Felire of Oengus"
mentions St. Colman in connection with this church on the 16th of October :
"Colman of Kill-Ruaidh," and the " Gloss" adds : "Colman, bishop, son of
Cathbadh, of Kill-Ruaidh, on the bank of Loch-Laig, in Ulidia " and the "
Martyrology of Donegal" also writes, on the same day : "Colman, bishop of
Kill-Ruaidh, in Dal-Araidhe, on the brink of Loch Laoigh, in Uladh."
Lough-Laoigh was not Lough-Neagh, as Archdall supposes, but the modern
Belfast Lough. Close upon its Antrim coast, in the townland Kilroot) is a
churchyard of the same name, which still retains some traces of the ancient
church. From the " Life of St. Mac Nisse" we learn that St. Colman was still
a boy whilst this saint was bishop of Connor. He is there called "Colmanus
Episcopus, qui Ecclesiam nomine Kellruaid fundavit" (Acta SS. Bolland, Sept.
I, 665) ; and the learned Franciscan, Ward, adds the note : " S. Colmanus
fuit Episcopus Kill-Ruadhensis, quae nunc obsoleta sedes est in Aradeorum
regione (i.e., Dalaradia) ad oram stagni Juvenci vulgo Loch-Laodh in Ultonia
ubi ejus festum tamquam patroni colitur xvi. Octobris." The "Annals of the
Four Masters" and the "Annals of Ulster" record, at 1122, that Connor Mac
Lochlin, with an army from Tyrone, laid waste " Kill-Ruaidh, in Ulster," and
carried away great spoil.
>From the " Life of St. Ailbhe, of Emly" we glean .a few interesting
particulars regarding the first foundation of this ancient church. It is
stated there that, " St. Ailbhe, like an industrious bee with its load of
honey, returned from Rome, under the Divine guidance, to his native Ireland.
And when he arrived at the sea he blessed it, and, with a breathless calm,
he and his whole company crossed its waters in a frail ship uninjured, and
landed on the north coast of Ireland. And there, at Ailbhe's order, one of
his disciples called Colman, founded a church named Cill-ruaidh. And whereas
the spot was unprovided with fresh water, St. Ailbhe blessed a stone, in the
name of God omnipotent, and forthwith there gushed from it a stream of
water. Then said St. Colman to Ailbhe, " The water is scanty ;" to whom
Ailbhe replied : " Though the water is scanty, it will never fail; but will
be a running stream as long as the world lasts." Therefore the name of the
stream is called Buanan Cylle Ruayd, i.e, the " Unfailing Stream of
Kill-ruaidh." (Codex Kilken. Marsh's Libr. fol 136, b).

The Irish Franciscan, Father MacCana, visited the spot about 1640, and
closed his " Itinerary" with the following note regarding it: "Not far from
Carrickfergus, on the east, is the church of Kill-ruaidh, which the English
call Killread. In all times it was celebrated, and, even in my time, and
that of my forefathers, it was always one of the residences of the bishops
of Connor. The church was endowed in former ages with very ample
possessions, and, even in my day, it was provided with no mean
appurtenances. Of this place mention is made in the ' Life of St. Albeus.' "
(See Ulster Journal of Arch, ii, 59.)

Monasicon Hibernicum; or A Short Account of the Ancient Monasteries of
Ireland , The Irish Ecclesiastical Record, Vol 5, 1869

http://www.archive.org/details/irishecclesiasti05dubluoft

Troparion of St Colman of Kilroot tone 1
Thou hast shown thyself to be a teacher of the Faith,/ guide of
monastics and bright star of the Church, O Hierarch Colman./ Wherefore
we cry to thee to intercede with Christ our God/ that He will save our
souls.

St. Ethelbert (Aedilberct, Ethelbricht) and St. Ethelred of Kent
Martyrs
Died c. 640-670; this is the feast of the translation of their relics.
These are the sons of Ermenred and great-grandsons of King Saint
Ethelbert of Kent (f.d. February 24), who were cruelly murdered by King
Egbert of Kent's counsellor, Thunor, at Eastry (near Sandwich). Egbert
was held accountable for the assassinations and founded Minster Abbey as
a penance. Here their sister, Saint Ermenburga (f.d. November 19) was
founding abbess of the convent. Saint Bede (f.d. May 25) does not
mention them, and the source that does, leaves them unnamed.
Apparently, there was competition for their relics, which were
translated to Wakering in Essex. Finally, in the 10th century, Saint
Oswald (f.d. February 28) enshrined their relics at Ramsey abbey in
Huntingdonshire, where they are venerated (Attwater, Benedictines,
Farmer). In art, this pair is portrayed as royal brothers, sometimes
with swords (Roeder). They are also venerated at Canterbury (Farmer).

Lives kindly supplied by:
For All the Saints:
http://users.erols.com/saintpat/ss/ss-index.htm
These Lives are archived at: