Celtic and Old English Saints          18 December

* St. Flannan of Killaloe
* St. Mawnan of Cornwall
* St. Magnenn of Kilmainham

St. Flannan of Killaloe, Bishop
7th century. Legend says that Prince Flannan of Thomond was the disciple
and successor to Saint Molua (f.d. August 4), founder of Killaloe
monastery. He had been born in the fortress castle on Craig Liath near
Killaloe. His father, King Turlough, sent him to the monks of Saint Lua
for his education for the Church. Eventually, he became its abbot. His
late "vita" relates that Flannan made a pilgrimage to Rome against the
advice of his friends and family. According to Irish hagiographical
fashion, he is said to have been carried on a floating stone to Italy,
where he was consecrated as the first bishop of Killaloe by Pope John
IV.

Like so many Irish monks before him, Flannan was a missionary who roved
the countryside preaching the Good News. He founded churches at Lough
Corrib and at Inishbofin, and spent time on the Isle of Man. Flannan
laboured in the Hebrides and gave his name to the Flannan Isles (the
Seven Hunters), west of Lewis and Harris in Scotland, where the ruins of
Flannan's chapel may be found today. In spite of all his toil, he
managed to recite the entire Psalter daily--often while immersed in icy
water. Several great miracles are attributed to Saint Flannan.

Although one source says that, inspired by his son, King Turlough became
a Christian late in life, he is believed to have started the custom
among Irish princes of retiring to a monastery near life's end to do
penance. He was a monk under the austere rule of Saint Colman at
Lismore. Three of his sons having been killed, Turlough asked Colman for
a special blessing on his family. At his death Flannan buried him in the
church at Killaloe, which became the principal church of Brian Boru's
kingdom.

Flannan was afraid that the chieftainship would fall to him (although
Colman had predicted that seven kings would spring from Turlough's
loins--all named Brian). Saint Flannan thereupon decided to pray for a
deformity that would make him ineligible
for the role, according to Irish law. His biographer relates that
immediately "scars and rashes and boils began to appear on his face so
that it became most dreadful and repulsive."

About 1180, King Brian Boru's descendent, Donal O'Brien, built a new
cathedral dedicated to Saint Flannan. The church was incorporated into a
new one in the 13th century, restored in 1887, and is now a Protestant
church. "Luxuriant with ivy, Gothic in style, with a massive bell tower
rising from the centre of the building, its elaborate, richly carved
Romanesque doorway, dated about 1180, is one of the masterpieces of
pre-Norman Irish architecture. Built into the stone wall surrounding
the cathedral grounds is another antiquity, a fragment of a bilingual
stone cross inscribed with runes and oghams from about the year 1000"
[D'Arcy, pp. 61-62].

Saint Flannan is the patron of Killaloe diocese where his relics
formerly rested in the cathedral next to his stone oratory. His feast is
kept throughout Ireland, and he also has a cultus in Scotland on the
same day (Attwater 2, Benedictines, Coulson,
D'Arcy, Farmer, Kenney, Leask, Montague, Moran, Walsh).

St. Mawnan (Maunanus) of Cornwall
Date unknown; another feast is shown on December 26 in Ireland. There is
a town in Cornwall named Mawnan. One source also identifies him with
Magnenn of Kilmainham, an Irish roving bishop who had a pet ram, was
given to cursing his enemies, and favoured unusual austerities. Mawnan
once asked counsel from Saint Maelruain (f.d. July 7), who roundly
refused to administer absolution to a man who did not work for his daily
bread, but instead lived on alms. A prophecy is attributed to Mawnan:

"A time shall come when girls shall be pert and tart of tongue; when
there will be grumbling and discontent among the lower classes and lack
of reverence to elders; when churches will be slackly attended and women
shall exercise wiles."

His life has similarities with the "fools for Christ" of Greece and
Russia. The exact identity of Mawnan is uncertain; he may be this saint
or simply a local founder of whom nothing is known (Farmer).

St. Magnenn of Kilmainham

>From the Life of St Magnenn of Kilmainham

Here now are some of bishop Magnenn's perfections: whensoever he came to a
refectory or to drink a draught, before ever he tasted his meal or that
which he should consume he would make five meditations: the first of them
being how he was born originally, and in how mean estate he came from his
mother's womb; the second, how in time he should escape out of his
death-extremity; the third, how the soul is rapt away to look on Hell; the
fourth again, how it goes to contemplate the Heavenly City that it may shun
being taken back again, whereby its self-distrust [i.e. humility and
solicitude] is all the greater; the fifth, how the sinners' cairn [i.e. the
edifice of their ambition, how high soever piled) is in a trifling while
afterwards abased. He used to tell his monks that for the Holy Spirit they
ought in their inmost parts to leave a passage free: one into which they
should not admit secular [i.e. material] sustenance. Thrice at a time he was
wont to say that the World is a mere mass of deception. "Look to it, my
beloved people," he said, "and take heed thereto: if ye spurn God's
commandments, how shall ye making your petitions to Him look up to Him? or
how shall God hearken to your cry and earnest prayer?" ...

It was of another time that Magnenn went on a visit to the place where
Maelruain of Tallaght was, whom he found thus just emerging out of a well of
water after chanting of the psalter's three times fifty psalms in it.
Through humility Maelruain saluted the sacred bishop, made him great welcome
and gave him the kiss of peace, saying: "my friend, take heed to me". He
reached his hand across him and from the hem of the hair integument that he
wore next his skin plucked a strong fibula, with which he dealt himself a
blow in the breast on the gospel side. Out of the pin's place issued not
blood but merely a little pinkish fluid; and the motive of this ordeal was
to announce to bishop Magnenn that in Maelruain's body pride existed not.
Magnenn replied: "I see that; and why I [for my part] am come is to have
exhortation of thee, to crave that to thee I may make confession, and to be
purged of all my sins and guiltiness."

Maelruain said: "in God's name I adjure thee that forthwith thou make thy
confession," Magnenn began: "thrice I say to thee 'have mercy on me!' I tell
thee (he went on) that from the day in which I took holy orders never have I
suffered the canonical hours to run [unobserved] the one into another; and I
tell thee that from the day in which I was baptised never have I violated my
purity, my chastity; neither from the time when I was tailed 'priest' have I
been even for one day without [saying] Mass."

Maelruain asked now: "holy bishop, in performance of corporal labour doest
thou any handiwork at all?" Magnenn answered: "nor work nor labour do I;
neither indeed (respect to my day being had) is it incumbent on me to
perform any such." Maelruain cried: "alas for that! I have never heard
confession of a man but [with his own hands] laboured for his body [i.e. to
supply his own corporal requirements]." Magnenn rejoined: "then, holy
cleric, yield me reverence." Maelruain assented: "I will indeed." "I tell
thee farther that upon any man that ever came to me [to confess] I never
laid penance (how severe soever) but on mine own body I would inflict one
more severe than it: thus once on a time came to me the king of Saxons' son
to confess and to seek devotional tuition, of whom I enquired: 'doest thou
any handiwork?' he said that he did not; but I affirmed that I would not
infringe God's law, and the injunction that he gave to Adam when he enjoined
him to feed himself by his hand's and by his body's labour, and with his
sweat. Alas then that my peregrination and my visit [hither] must be even
like to his!"

But Maelruain returned: "by no means: rather shall sages and ancient books
have preserved to the World's end thy journey hither and the miracles that
yet shall proceed from thee, as being both very excellent." Magnenn the
bishop craved: "instruct me for God's sake!" to whom Maelruain: "in His name
I say to thee: weep for the sin of friends and of neighbours [as though it
were thine]; on God set all thy thoughts, nor dwell at all whether on friend
or comrade, on gold or silver, or on the specious World's false show, but
thy confessions and thine heart place all in God; on Mary-Mother of
Glory-meditate; on the great (i.e. the twelve major) prophets, together with
John the Baptist, ponder; as on the lesser prophets with Habacuc. Think on
the fourfold Evangel, on the twelve Apostles, and on the eleven disciples
that He had for followers; on the band of youths that the King Eternal has
for a house­hold retinue: the token of said retinue being a cross of gold in
their foreheads, and on their backs a cross of silver. Meditate moreover on
the nine angelic orders, on bliss of the Heavenly City's glory; so shall
great privileges appertain to thy succession's [i.e. successors'] see, and
yonder thou shalt win the glory everlasting. This then is my counsel to
thee, holy bishop. Farther yet: to thy successors' see great prerogatives
shall belong, and in Ireland thy fire shall be the third on which privilege
[of sanctity] shall be
conferred, i.e. the fire of the elder Lianan of Kinvarra, the lively and
perennial fire that is in Inishmurray [in Sligo bay] and bishop Magnenn's
fire in Kilmainham. Thou too art the one that to thine own
monks, and to such as from Shannon to the [eastern] sea accomplish thy
prescriptions, shalt beside Patrick and Ireland's other saints be their
final judge." ...

A prophecy of bishop Magnenn's was: that a time should come when there
should be daughters flippant and tart, devoid of obedience to their mothers;
when they of low estate should make much murmuring, and seniors lack
reverent cherishing; when there should be impious laymen and prelates both,
perverted wicked judges, disrespect to elders; soil barren of fruits,
weather deranged and intemperate seasons; women given up to witchcraft,
churches unfrequented, deceitful hearts and perfidy on the increase; a time
when God's commandments should be violated, and Doomsday's tokens occur
every year.

Of Magnenn's characteristics was the manner of his carrying himself in
regard to riches, for he never accepted either gold or silver or any metal
that is denominated moneta; and a Culdee that was in Kilmainham bore this
great testimony of him, saying: "Magnenn the wonder-worker, that never
sinned with woman; Magnenn the sage, whose use and wont it was to weep."
Farther: in preaching he never uttered any one word a second time [in the
same discourse]; he never left a sermon [after him anywhere] but some one or
other he had 'brought to faith' [i.e. converted]; nor ever sat at king's
shoulder or at chief's (purposing thus to eschew acquiring of a high mind),
and honour of kings and of mighty lords he would contemn greatly, saying:
"alas for him to whom, when once he hath renounced the World, honours
con­ferred by the powerful yield any satisfaction."

Of that holy bishop's perfection was this too: that he never entered into
any place where war or conflict was but mercifulness and pity would
[efficaciously] attend that which he said, and, before he
departed, the parties would be at peace. Lovingly he would say to them:
"that which is spent ye have had; that which ye have given away ye have yet;
that which ye have hoarded up ye have lost; and that in
respect of which ye have unbecomingly denied any is [even now] avenged on
you." So soon then as the tuatha and the tribes would hear that, straightway
they used to make peace, and he would go on to say that such was the third
thing with which God was best pleased in the world [the three being] love to
Himselfward, giving of copious alms, and maintenance of peace.

Source: Silva Gadelica (I-XXXI). ed. Standish Hayes O'Grady. Reprint
of the 1892 ed. New York, Lemma Pub. Corp., 1970.
http://www.geocities.com/branwaedd/magnenn.html

Sources:
========

Attwater, D. (1958). A Dictionary of Saints. New York:
P. J. Kenedy & Sons. [Attwater 2]

Benedictine Monks of Saint Augustine Abbey, Ramsgate.
(1947). The Book of Saints. NY: Macmillan.

Coulson, J. (ed.). (1960). The Saints: A Concise Biographical
Dictionary. New York: Hawthorn Books.

D'Arcy, M. R. (1974). The Saints of Ireland. Saint Paul, Minnesota:
Irish American Cultural Institute. [This is probably the most
useful book to choose to own on the Irish saints. The author
provides a great deal of historical context in which to place the
lives of the saints.]

Farmer, D. H. (1997). The Oxford Dictionary of Saints.
Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Kenney, J. F. (1929). Sources for Early History of Ireland,
vol.1, Ecclesiastical. New York: Columbia University Press.

Leask, H. G. (1951). Irish Castles. Dundalgan Press.

Montague, H. P. (1981). The Saints and Martyrs of Ireland.
Guildford: Billing & Sons.

Moran, P. (1879). Irish Saints in Great Britian.

Walsh, M. (ed.). (1985). Butler's Lives of the Saints.
San Francisco: Harper & Row.

For All the Saints:
http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/ss-index.htm

An Alphabetical Index of the Saints of the West
http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/saintsa.htm

These Lives are archived at: