Celtic and Old English Saints          30 June

* St. Eurgain

St. Eurgain, Virgin of Glamorgan, Wales,
Foundress of Llantwit Monastery

The British llanau (churches) were centres of not just spirituality, but
also education. In fact, the very early Roman Church's first bishop,
Pope Linus, was half British and two of his successors were also

Linus was related to the Silurian chieftain Caractacus (Caradog) who was
taken to Rome in 51 AD after instigating an uprising against the Romans.
Surprisingly, Caradog was pardoned by Emperor Claudius and he and his
family were kept in Rome until 57 AD when they returned to South Wales.
According to Welsh historical records, Caradog's daughter, Eurgain,
brought twelve Christians with her, and as such, was the mother of the
British Church. In fact, she had been converted to Christianity whilst
in Rome by St Paul. Eurgain's sister was Gwladys (born 36 AD) - also
known as Claudia after she married Rufus Pudens Pudentius, a Roman
citizen, in 53 AD. Claudia's home, Pallatium Brittanicum (British
Palace), in Rome was given to the young couple as a dowry by Caradog and
was also used for Christian worship. The church of St Pudentiana now
stands on the site. Pudens had vast estates in Umbria and according to
the Roman Martyrology, he brought 400 servants from his estates to the

The 'Roman Martyrologies' states that in 56 AD: "The children of Claudia
were brought up at the feet of St Paul." The second Pope, Clemenus
Romanus (Clement) confirmed that St Paul had resided at Claudia's home ,
the Pallatium Britannicum, and had instructed her brother, Linus, the
first Bishop of Rome or Pope. Linus is mentioned by St Paul in his
Epistle to Timothy, and was buried, according to Bishop Irenaeus,
alongside St Peter at the foot of the Vatican hill. Linus was Caradog's
grand-son and the son of Claudia.

The passage by Irenaeus (Adv. haereses, III, iii, 3) reads: "After the
Holy Apostles (Peter and Paul) had founded and set the Church in order
(in Rome) they gave over the exercise of the episcopal office to Linus.
The same Linus is mentioned by St. Paul in his Epistle to Timothy. His
successor was Anacletus."

Eurgain, on her return to South Wales, established a church, which is
referred to as 'Cor Eurgain' in Welsh records. This church was
established in 57 AD near Llanilltud Fawr (Llantwit Major) in present
day Glamorganshire. However, even today the Church in Wales denies this
fact, and chooses to tow the line with the Stubbs' mentality that Romans
brought Christianity to Britain rather than the evidence that shows it
had been here for hundreds of years and was independent of Rome.

The location of the Cor is most probably Caer Mead, a Roman villa on the
outskirts of the town. This villa was last excavated in 1888, and even
then only partly, and the findings showed it to have mosaic floors and
painted plaster walls.

Professor McAllister in his "Glamorgan: History and Topography" relates
that the 1888 excavation showed the villa to cover an area of eight
acres with its defences. "The building alone covered two acres and
comprised 20 rooms, one of them being 60 feet by 51 feet, the remaining
walls of which rose to a height of nine feet...it is one of the few
Roman civil sites in Wales and was probably built before the middle of
the second century."

These Lives are archived at:

Reply via email to