Hi Ed,

Am 18.07.2010 21:57, schrieb El Dee:

> Greetings folks,
>
> A couple questions if you will:
>
> (a) Is CenterIM still maintained?  I'd noticed some issues with
> centerim that have been going on a while and I was wondering if
> anyone was maintaining it anymore?
Well its "somehow" maintained. That said, in case someone has an issue
and can provide a patch, it is incorporated into the main tree and a new
version is released.

Unfortunately there is nobody working "in general" on the code.

> (b) If it is not being maintained anymore, does anyone know of an
> alternative to CenterIM?  I need something that can access Yahoo IM
> that is capable of using a console / text interface (preferably built
> upon curses or ncurses).  The YIM protocol seems to be broken the
> last few months.  I noticed connection issues arose in CIM around the
> same time as with Pidgin, but the Pidgin / GAIM issues have been long
> since resolved.
Well Pidign has a console interface too. It's called Finch but resembles
the GUI and therefore you need to "deal" with "windows" on the console.
There is no tiled layout as CIM provides.

IIRC there is a Google Summer of Code planned, which should implemented
a tiled interface to Finch, which would then be more like CIM.

A quick Google search showed that 2008 a basic tiling window manager was
implemented. I don't know of the current status of this.

> I hope nobody takes any offensive to my inquiry as none is intended.
> I really like CIM a lot, it's great software.  If this is the end of
> the road for CIM I would at least like to offer a shout out of
> gratitude to the authors as it served its purpose well for a very
> long time, your efforts were or are appreciated.
Well as Frank pointed out, there is some effort in making a new CIM
version which is based on libpurple (the protocol library used and
implemented by the Pidgin community) but we're missing experienced C/C++
devs and afaik only one guy is (partly) working on CIM 5

Greetings
-Sascha-