On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, Karanbir Singh wrote:

Dag Wieers wrote:
> Whats the aim of creating duplicate content and thereby creating more > legacy ?

 The aim would be that more people could actually improve the content,
 instead of having it sit there, look ugly and not helping with donations
 at all.

If there is such a mass of humanity looking to improve the content, why is that effort not directed at fixing the issues with the website ?

How would John Doe be able to help with the website ? They can readily help with the wiki today.

 If you want me to say we should replace the Website by the Wiki, I will :)

you can say that if you like, but its not going to happen.

Right.

 Sorry, but every link from the wiki going to the website is but-ugly,
 looks disconnected and unprofessional.

so why band-aid rather than fix the problem ?

Why is the wiki a band-aid. A lot of projects only use a wiki and are very successful in doing so.

 Right, and the website obviously is much better in providing content to
 users (not).

the website gets a magnitude of more traffic than the wiki, so I'd say yes its a better mechanism at the moment.

The website gets more traffic because it is called http://centos.org/ and is linked everywhere, not because the content is able to deliver.

I am confident that a news-item on the wiki has more effect, than having the same news-item on the website given they would both be called http://centos.org/

But that is not the point, the point is that there is nothing wrong with having news-items on the wiki, just like on the website, or the mailinglist, or planet centos for that matter.

It does not have to be either-or.

 Sorry Karanbir, we could argue about the principles of having a website
 and a wiki, but as long as the website is in the state it is now I would
 *never* recommend anyone to go to the website.

but you dont want to make any efforts to fix that situation ?

No, and apparently others don't want to either.
So I guess the official position is to wait until someone does it.

 Right, we could discuss what news-item to put on the frontpage, but I
 think it is important to also put highlights on the wiki simply because
 nobody ever visits both.

I'd like to see what analytics were used in reaching that decision.

I never visit the website, and I doubt many people return to the website if they know about the wiki.

--
--   dag wieers,  [EMAIL PROTECTED],  http://dag.wieers.com/   --