Brian wrote:

On Dec 14, 2007, at 3:21 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

Jerry Geis wrote:
I have a device on my network that is not DHCP and I dont know the IP address of it and it has not method of finding it or changing it unless you know the IP address (setable by browser). Is there a way on linux, based on MAC address, to get the IP of the unit?

You accumulate a table of mac<->ip assocations, but only after communicating with something. arp -a will show the current entries (which expire fairly quickly). You might ping everything in the network range, then look for the mac in the arp list.

to ping every address, check out broadcast pings here

http://www.macworld.com/article/53277/2006/10/pingfind.html
(or google other how-to's)

The tool you want is fping.  It's available from the rpmforge repository.

fping -ga 192.168.c.d/m
arp -n | grep aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff

Now you may have two problems:
1. The unknown device is not in your address space. ie: your net is 192.168.0.0/24 and the ip of the device is 192.168.1.1. 2. Your mask is too large. ie: 192.168.0.0/20 may be too large for you to scan the entire address space before your arp tables runs out of room.

Good luck.

--
Milton Calnek BSc, A/Slt(Ret.)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]