On 10/11/2014 08:07 AM, Marcelo Ricardo Leitner wrote:
On 09-10-2014 14:13, Les Mikesell wrote:
On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Steve Clark <scl...@netwolves.com> wrote:
What exactly does that mean - multi seat environments?
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/multiseat/

Ok I read the information. So as I understand it you are going have a
computer that
has multiple graphics cards with multiple keyboards and multiple mice
divided into
seats. Really?

Where do I buy this computer?
It is much simpler to run remote X sessions over a network for
multiuser access  and probably not much more expensive if you use
older PCs as terminals.  You do have to boot something, but x2go or
You think that nobody on that project thought about this before?

freenx/NX are cross platform and have great remote performance.  I'm
surprised no one has made a mini-linux distro that boots straight to
x2go for this purpose, but if they have, I haven't found it.
It's not just remote X sessions. You want at least USB and audio
redirection and also a decent 3D performance.

We currently do that using spice for VMs, I don't know how feasible it
is to run it on a real hardware.

There are some good pro's on this setup:
- this installation is physically simpler than having 4 full computers
as it requires 1/4 of the wall plugs and network points
- no single point of failure (as in: 4 seats down is okay), if you
compare with ones using x2go and similar (application server)
- easily scalable: need more seats? buy 1 computer more, you have +4
seats, and you're good. No server needs to be re-evaluated.
- easier to maintain, as you maintain 1/4 of the systems you would
otherwise.
- very cost effective with commodity hardware, that everyone knows how
to deal with.
- vendor independent

And probably many others that I forgot :)

Not saying it's the best, though. Just saying that yes this is a good
project that is well plotted and has its audience.

Marcelo
Yes but you have to be physically close to the main cpu. What about
distractions from other people sitting right next to you?
Playing music, etc.

Stephen Clark
*NetWolves Managed Services, LLC.*
Director of Technology