On 11/23/2015 04:33 PM, Michael Eager wrote:
Hi --

I'm trying to build an application on CentOS 7 which
can run on older versions of CentOS.  I'm running into
problems with versioning of memcpy in Glibc.  Executables
built on CentOS 7 require memcpy from glibc-2.14, which
causes the program not to load on systems with older
versions of glibc.

My online search suggests to add an asm() with a .symver
option to select memcpy from glibc-2.2.5 in each of the
source files which reference memcpy().  This isn't practical
with a program with tens of thousands of source files.

Does anyone have a reasonable solution?

IMO you should really be building your app on an older Centos version (5 or 6). Then your binary should run everywhere, though it may sometimes require installing a -compat package.

An alternative is to link everything statically. Not as good a solution, as it introduces security concerns.