From: CentOS [mailto:centos-boun...@centos.org] On Behalf Of Gary Stainburn
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2017 11:34 AM
To: centos@centos.org
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Reliable way of having both LAN and WIFI on headless
box

On Friday 13 January 2017 12:40:33 Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 12:33 PM, Gary Stainburn <g...@ringways.co.uk>
>
> wrote:
> > Also, it was suggested that I use nmcli in a cronjob to re-activate
> > it if it drops.  I can check to see if it's still active by
> > 'grep'ing the IP address, but I don't know the nmcli to re-activate
> > an existing WIFI connection.
> >
> > Can anyone help here too, just in case I can't fix the real problem
>
> I have a wireless connection named "AndroidAP-notepro"
>
> So I can run
>
> # nmcli con show --active | grep AndroidAP-notepro AndroidAP-notepro
> 62d0fc1f-91b8-4c07-baf0-323cf1c108d1  802-11-wireless
>  wlp3s0
> #
>
> You can check exit code and number of lines.
> If number of lines is 0, it means the connection is not active and you
> can try to activate it and get exit code of the command
>
> # nmcli con up AndroidAP-notepro
>
> Also, it could be useful to know what value you have for
> "connection.autoconnect" for this connection.
> If it is yes, in theory it should automatically reactivate when it
> returns available.
>
> In my case my AndroidAP-notepro connection is to be manually activated
> and in fact I have
>
> # nmcli con show AndroidAP-notepro | grep connection.autoconnect:
> connection.autoconnect:                 no
> #
>
> In case you also have autoconnect set to no, If you don't have a gui
> you should be able to set it up with
>
> # nmcli con mod AndroidAP-notepro connection.autoconnect yes
>
> HIH,
> Gianluca

Hi Gianluca

Thanks for this.  I will put this into a cron job to bring the link back up
if it drops. However, as you can see it shouldn't ne needed.  One more
reason I hate NetworkManager

[root@lcomp2 ~]# nmcli con show RW-WIFI |grep connection.autoconnect
connection.autoconnect:                 yes
connection.autoconnect-priority:        0
connection.autoconnect-slaves:          -1 (default)
[root@lcomp2 ~]#

Gary