On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 08:15:58PM -0400, H wrote:

> > > I suspect there may be some configuration setting I have missed but since
> > > there is no graphical configuration utility it's hard to figure out what
> > > might be wrong by just looking at the several configuration text files.
> > What about, from terminal, doing something like
> > XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.Big5 GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx firefox
> >
> > (the zh_TW.Big5 is just a guess, one that I saw googling lc_ctype for
> > Chinese.).
> > These are just guesses on my part. I've not had a similar issue, save for
> > the firefox thing on FreeBSD that I mentioned.
> >
> Interesting, that seems to work! Will check it out more tomorrow. However, it
> seemed to work only for firefox (that you have on the command line), it did
> not work for thunderbird or geany.
>
> The Big5 is likely not correct but I will check tomorrow.
>
> Thought: I do have XMODIFIERS and GTK_IM_MODULE set in .bashrc:
>
> export GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx
> export QT_IM_MODULE=fcitx
> export XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx

In the FreeBSD install where this was an issue in firefox, I had them in
.bash_profile, I think.  Or maybe .bashrc.  :) I don't remember.  But the
only thing I remember being an issues was Firefox, and the only variable I
had to add at the time was changing LC_CTYPE from English to Japanese.

> I guess that these settings in .bashrc are picked up by the terminal only and
> not by GUI applications?? If so, there is maybe another file I need to add
> them to?

Try .bash_profile, (and then log out and log in.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6