On 12/1/2017 11:32 AM, hw wrote:
So this would mean that the database (running on a different server) takes almost two times as much as foo --- which I would consider kinda excruciatingly long because it´s merely inserting rows into two different tables after they were
prepared by foo and then processes some queries to convert the data.

The queries after importing may take like 3 or 5 minutes.  About 4.5 million rows are being imported.

so you're missing about 25 minutes, and maybe 5 minutes is spent post processing, so thats 20 minutes spent in the data insertion?

inserting one row at a time?  or in batches?    remeber a database server is going to do commits after each transaction, which forces the data to be flushed to disk.   4.5 million seperate row transactions, yeah, I could see that taking some time, plus add that many network round trips, etcetc.   if the db server just has a single SATA disk, you're doing 9 million committed writes combined to the two tables?    20 minutes for 9 million inserts, thats 7500 per second.