On 02/02/18 17:32, James Pearson wrote:
Phil Perry wrote:

It looks like a regression. This was originally fixed upstream
(kernel.org) 3 years ago, so if the RHEL7.5 beta kernel has reverted to
'EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL' then it is a regression that will break building any
out-of-tree non-gpl modules which need to set caching mode in pte's

You should file a bug report with Red Hat.

The correct fix in the kernel is in arch/x86/mm/init.c

-EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(__cachemode2pte_tbl);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(__cachemode2pte_tbl);

Well, that's the rub - RHEL7 have never had that upstream fix - i.e. the
el7.4 kernel (3.10.0-693.el7) has
'EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(__cachemode2pte_tbl)' as does the el7.5b kernel
(3.10.0-830.el7) ...

The Nvidia driver builds/installs OK on el7.4 - but not on el7.5b

I'll report this to Red Hat anyway ...

Thanks

James Pearson

Ah, I'd not checked the sources, you are correct. I do not have an explanation for the differing behaviour between 7.4 and 7.5beta.

It looks like both __cachemode2pte_tbl and __pte2cachemode_tbl need updating in arch/x86/mm/init.c

If you file a bug, please could you mail the link so I can add myself to the CC. Thanks.