On Thu, 22 Feb 2018, Pete Biggs wrote:

> >   finally, any concerns i should have about upgrading the kernel from
> > 3.10 to 4.14 or 4.15, as explained in a number of places like this:
> >
> > https://www.tecmint.com/install-upgrade-kernel-version-in-centos-7/
> >
> >   i simply prefer to run a current kernel but i can resist the
> > temptation if upgrading that on a centos 7.4 system would introduce
> > more problems than are worth it.
> >
> The only reason to use a kernel version that isn't provided with the
> distro is if the newer kernel provides features that you **NEED**.
>
> Remember, the whole point of something like CentOS is to provide a
> stable, solid OS. This requires a whole bunch of testing of the OS
> as a whole - and RHEL (and hence CentOS) does all that testing using
> kernels it provides. What's more RH will backport critical kernel
> updates if appropriate - so it's not the case that an older kernel
> is lacking in security.
>
> I seem to remember you said you were going to teach using these
> machines - surely you want those machines to be as stable and as
> standard as possible to the machines the students will find in the
> wild. I would definitely not encourage students to upgrade kernels -
> novices sysadmins don't need an extra level of uncertainty in their
> life!

  oh, i appreciate the need for caution; on the other hand, it always
struck me that the training room is the *ideal* place for students to
experiment with things they're too nervous or unsure of to try back at
the office. this is typically why, when i'm teaching, i save friday
afternoon for trying things that are typically not covered by standard
courseware.

  so as long as one delivers the proper caution, i see no problem with
something like, "ok, you might never have to do this at your site, but
just in case you ever need to upgrade your kernel, let's try it and
see what happens." so if the need ever arises, at least they can say
they've done it once and know what the end result is supposed to be.

rday