On Thu, 22 Feb 2018, hw wrote:

That seems neither useful, nor feasible for customers wanting to use the
wireless network we would set up for them with their cell phones.  Are cell
phones even capable of this kind of authentication?

Yes, entirely capable.  WPA2-Enterprise isn't some freakish and unusual
solution.

https://www.eduroam.org/

I configure wireless once on my device (phone/tablet/laptop) and then can
travel to institutions all round the world and use their networks seamlessly.
How useless and infeasible indeed.

Anyway, there are some clients that can probably authenticate, which leaves
the ones that use PXE boot.  I tried things out with a switch, and it would
basically work.  If it makes sense to go any further with this and how now
needs to be determined ...

A client that can't authenticate gets the network it's provided with by being
unauthenticated.  If an unauthenticated client can't have any network access,
that's what they get.  Presumably you could drop an unauthenticated machine
into a different VLAN.

jh