On 02/26/2018 09:25 AM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
I wonder if it might work to use a yum transaction, in which you
first remove everything (which avoids the need for the list
entirely), then adds the minimal package set, and then commits the
transaction...
I only have a very vague notion of yum transactions, so I'll look into
that and report back.

My idea was:

   # yum shell
    > transaction
    > remove *
   Skipping the running kernel: kernel-3.10.0-693.11.1.el7.x86_64

...but that doesn't work.  First, because it complains that @core has no packages to install, but second and more importantly, it appears that even if you get the package selection right it will remove and reinstall the packages.  I'm not positive that'll break, but offhand, it doesn't look like the transaction would have been a workable solution.  You know, in case you were curious.  :)