On Sat, 21 Jul 2018, Pete Biggs wrote:

On Fri, 2018-07-20 at 10:10 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jul 2018, Pete Biggs wrote:

Check your hardware - all these things might well be symptomatic of an
hardware issue.

I'm not at all sure how.
If it means opening the case,
hardware issues are likely to occur.

Is there a way to tell whether the video
player is even using video acceleration?

I don't necessarily mean the video - kernel panics are rarely to do
with something that far removed from the CPU. I mean test the hardware
of your computer.

I'll do the testing suggested.  The machine is rather old.
HP Compaq dc5800 sff (small form factor)
I would not be surprised if the kernel
just did not like my motherboard any more.

Even after I figure out the kermal panics,
the video will still be an issue.

First, check the memory - MemTest86+ is the tool most people use for
this. Run it on your system and it will highlight memory problems. It
can be found at www.memtest.org - the precompiled versions are tiny and
will fit on a floppy (or memory stick or CD).

If that doesn't detect anything try running a hardware diagnostic -
there's a load on the UBCD (www.ultimatebootcd.com) or Hiren's BootCD (
www.hiren.info).  You might want to download one of those anyway as
they both contain MemTest86+.

None of this needs you to open the case.

That is good.

My suspicion is that this is a repeat of what sent me to Centos from Fedora.
(Yes I know the relationship).
I'm told I couldn't install Fedora on a machine because a
kernel bug affected precisely one kind of motherboard, mine.
I'm also told the bug was supposedly fixed,
but I was never able to run any later Fedora on that machine.

--
Michael   henne...@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,