Am 30.08.2018 um 10:54 schrieb isdtor <isd...@gmail.com>:

> Leon Fauster via CentOS writes:
>> Since the update from kernel-2.6.32-754.2.1.el6.x86_64
>> to kernel-2.6.32-754.3.5.el6.x86_64 I can not boot my
>> KVM guests anymore!? The workstation panics immediately!
>>
>> I would not have expected this behavior now (last phase of OS).
>> It was very robust until now (Optiplex Workstation). I see some KVM
>> related lines in the changelog.diff. Before swimming upstream:
>>
>> Does some one have problems related to KVM with
>> kernel-2.6.32-754.3.5.el6.x86_64 ??
>
> Yes, the exact same thing happened here, and I suspect it is related to older
> cpus that don't get any Spectre/Meltdown updates.

Thanks for the feedback. I' was assuming that some kind of Spectre/Meltdown
fixes are causing this.

> IBM x3250
> Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E3110  @ 3.00GHz
>
> This is a dual-core cpu of similar vintage to yours (can we have a model #?),
> pre-2010.

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6850  @ 3.00GHz
stepping        : 11
microcode       : 186
cpu MHz         : 2000.000
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 2
apicid          : 1
initial apicid  : 1
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf eagerfpu pni dtes64
monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm pti
retpoline tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
bogomips        : 5984.84
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

> There goes a cheap and reliable VM dev machine :-/

No way. Should all IT departments trash a big percentage of there hardware now?

--
LF