yum remove lightdm

That command tells me that it's also going to remove lightdm-gobject and
lightdm-gtk.

rpm -q --whatrequires lightdm
no package requires lightdm

So obviously we can't take the word of the --whatrequires option from the rpm
command since yum remove tells me that there are two.

That being the case, using yum remove to determine the actual dependency chain
is not all that helpful since (a) only the root user can do that, which seems
unnecessary when all you want to get is a report about the installed packages
that the rpm command can already read as a user, and (b) you're taking a chance
of fat-fingering something and destroying your system by accident.

Ultimately it would be very useful to have some kind of a tool that would
generate a report from the rpms installed on a system and tell you exactly what
depends on what else.  Among other things you could use that report to remove
stuff that's not needed in any installation.