On 12/26/2019 08:13 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 12/26/19 2:49 PM, H wrote:
>> I just looked at the settings in /etc/ssh/ssh_config on the workstation -
>> which should apply to all users on it - I already had:
>>
>> Host *
>>   TCPKeepAlive yes
>>   ServerAliveInterval 60
>

> Well, keep-alive options would only make a difference if the problem were a
> DNAT timeout.  If it's some other limitation imposed on DNAT, those won't
> have any effect.
>
> If you can reproduce this reliably and have admin access to both the server
> and client, you can determine whether the router is the problem:
>
> 1) Start an scp transfer of a large file
>
> 2) Use netstat or ss on the client to determine what port the client is using
> for the SSH connection
>
> 3) Use netstat or ss on the server to determine what port the client is using
> (NAT will probably change both the client's address and port)
>
> 4) Run "tcpdump -nn host <server address> and port <client TCP port>" on the
> client, using the values from step 2
>
> 5) Run "tcpdump -nn host <client address> and port <client TCP port>" on the
> server, using the values from step 3
>
> 6) Wait for the transfer to terminate
>
> I expect that when the client terminates, you'll see a TCP reset packet at
> the end of the output from tcpdump on the client side, but you won't see that
> packet in the tcpdump output on the server side.  If so, then the router is
> sending the TCP reset, and you'll need to work with its owners to resolve the
> problem.
>
> Incidentally, why are you connecting to an internal resource through an
> external address (NAT)?  Are you unable to connect directly to its internal
> address?

Thank you very much, very nice summary! The only thing I needed to add was the
specific ethernet port in tcpdump, eg tcdump -i ....

However, after you posted the above, I have not had this problem... Might come
back though.

As for the reason I am using the external address when the internal address
suffices is that I access the same server externally as well. For simplicity I
used the external address in both scenarios.