Phil Perry wrote:

What is the threat you're trying to mitigate, specifically?  I don't see
how pairing a tablet would allow file transfers.  An unauthorized device
can't unilaterally pair with your system.
If you enable Bluetooth on a workstation (by starting the 'bluetooth'
service), then a normal user on the workstation can (for example)
transfer files to/from a mobile phone - which is something we don't allow

Users don't have to have any special perms to do this - users can pair
with any Bluetooth devices they want

i.e. it isn't possible to control what a user can and can't do with
Bluetooth - so it isn't possible to allow pairing with just particular
(or classes of) Bluetooth devices

Is it possible to control behaviour with udev rules?

No idea - I haven't found anything that allows you to 'control' Bluetooth - including any mention of udev rules

I have no idea if udev could be used in this way - nor where to start in creating possible udev rules :-)

I asked my original question on the linux-bluetooth email list - and the only suggestion was hacking the Bluetooth kernel modules to 'filter connection requests at the PSM level' ...

Thanks

James Pearson