Simon Matter wrote:

However, we would still like to know what the issue is and get a 'real'
fix - I guess we could try creating a bug report with Redhat ...

By bug report you mean BZ or a support request as paying RHEL customer?

A BZ ...

Unfortunately I'm not too happy anymore with how BZs are handled these
days. Am I alone with this feeling?

I've had mixed results with BZs - it appears if a bug 'tickles the fancy' of someone a Redhat that sees the ticket, then you can get good results - otherwise, they just sit there until the release goes out of support and they get dropped :-)

James Pearson