On Wed, 2020-03-25 at 14:39 +0000, Leroy Tennison wrote:
> Since you state that using -z is almost always a bad idea, could you
> provide the rationale for that?  I must be missing something.

I think the "rationale" is that at some point the
compression/decompression takes longer than the time reduction from
sending a compressed file.  It depends on the relative speeds of the
machines and the network.

You have most to gain from compressing large files, but if they are
already compressed, then you have nothing to gain from just doing small
files.

It obviously depends on your network speed and if you have a metered
connection, but does anyone really have such an ancient network
connection still these days - I mean if you have fast enough machines
at both ends to do rapid compression/decompression, it seems unlikely
that you will have a damp piece of string connecting them.

P.