On May 16, 2020 12:41:09 PM GMT+03:00, "Patrick Bégou"
<patrick.be...@legi.grenoble-inp.fr> wrote:
>Hi Barbara,
>
>Thanks for all these suggestions. Yes, jumbo frames are activated and I
>have only two 10Gb ethernet switch between the server and the client,
>connected with a monomode fiber.
>I saw yesterday that the client showing the problem had not the right
>MTU (1500 instead of 9000). I don't know why. I changed the MTU to 9000
>yesterday and I'm looking at the logs now to see if the problems occur
>again.
>
>I will try to increase the number of nfs daemon in a few day, to check
>each setup change one after the other. Because of covid19, I'm working
>from home so I should be really careful when changing the setup of the
>servers.
>
>On a cluster node I try to set "rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,vers=4,tcp"
>(I cannot have a larger value for rsize/wsize) but comparison with the
>mount using default setup do not show significant improvements. I sent
>20GB to the server or 2x10GB (2 concurrent processes) with dd to be
>larger than the raid controller cache but lower than the  server and
>client RAM. It was just a short test this morning.
>
>Patrick
>
>Le 15/05/2020 à 15:32, Barbara Krašovec a écrit :
>> The number of threads has nothing to do with the number of cores on
>the machine. It depends on the I/O, network speed, type of workload
>etc.
>> We usually start with 32 threads and increase if necessary.
>>
>> You can check the statistics with:
>> watch 'cat /proc/net/rpc/nfsd | grep th’
>>
>> Or you can check on the client
>> bide5.bin
>> nfsstat -rc
>> Client rpc stats:
>> calls      retrans    authrefrsh
>> 1326777974   0          1326645701
>>
>> If you see a large number of retransmissions, you should increase the
>number of threads.
>>
>> However, your problem could also be related to the filesystem or
>network.
>>
>> Do you have jumbo frames (if yes, you should have them on clients and
>server)? You might think about disabling flow control on the switch and
>on the network card. Are there a lot of dropped packets?
>>
>> For network tuning, check http://fasterdata.es.net/host-tuning/linux/
>>
>> Did you try to enable readahead (blockdev —setra) on the filesystem?
>>
>> On the client side, changing the mount options helps. The default
>read/write block size is quite little, increase it (rsize, wsize), and
>use noatime.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Barbara
>>

>>> On 15 May 2020, at 09:26, Patrick Bégou
><patrick.be...@legi.grenoble-inp.fr> wrote:

>nfs server
>and 16x
>All the

>with

>responding,
>responding,

>open to

>advice/tutorials
> [...]

Hi ,
Why don't you leave the client negotiate the version itself ?
pNFS requires  at minimum - v4.1 and can bring extra performance.

P.S.: According to the man pages 'vers' is :
'is  an  alternative  to   the nfsvers option.  It is included for
compatibility with other operating systems.'
I was  always using 'nfsvers' :).

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov