On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 07:05:52PM -0400, H wrote:
> On 09/20/2019 08:27 PM, H wrote:
> >>>
> >> Warning: this advise is old and possibly out of date for how printer
> >> administration should be done these days.
> >>
> >> Usually when I run into this sort of issue it usually has to be fixed
> >> with an updated ppd driver from the vendor for that printer... usually
> >> the one they give to Apple and possibly one that was aimed for the
> >> country/area the language is not working on. I would then have to
> >> double set the printer with one for Western fonts and one for
> >> non-Western using 2 different ppds because things looked wrong one way
> >> or another. In looking at the ppd's it looked like they had the
> >> equivalent to microcode they sent the printer to update to do things
> >> 'better'. I can say the quality of printing was vastly different.
> >>
> >> The other item was just that some fonts look great on screen and dont'
> >> print well.. but I am guessing htis is one printer which is acting
> >> badly and others are doing well?

> > See my reply to Fred. Just checked the printer drivers for Linux on the
> > Brother website
> > (https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll2360dw_us&os=127)
> >  and it looks the drivers for Linux are from 2014 and 2015...
> >
> > The printer driver for Mac OS 10.14 is more recent from 2018
> > (https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll2360dw_us&os=10052)
> >  and that page also lists a firmware update tool with firmware from July of
> > this year. The update history for the firmware refers only to
> > "improvements" and "software bugs", not very helpful.
> >
> > Clearly I need to see if I can update the firmware. The most current
> > firmware on the page above is 1.29 whereas my printer has 1.25. Annoyingly
> > the firmware update instructions on this page refers to how to do the
> > update on a Mac...
> >
> Closing out my problem above. I installed the driver on a new computer
> running CentOS 7 and had no problems printing. There must have been a
> misconfiguration of the driver on the old computer, or, less likely, the
> Brother driver had been updated on the Brother website.
>
> I am now a happy camper.

I've also noticed that the Brother drivers for Linux are quite old, I sent a
support question
about it and they denied there being a problem with some sort of market-speak.
Nevertheless, they have always worked for  me.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fre...@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------
                         God made him who had no sin