Am 08.12.20 um 18:54 schrieb Frank Cox:
Is Oracle a real alternative to Centos?  I'm asking because genuinely don't
know; I've never paid any attention to Oracle's Linux offering before now.

But today I've seen a couple of the folks here mention Oracle Linux and I see
that Oracle even offers a script to convert Centos 7 to Oracle.  Nothing about
Centos 8 in that script, though.

https://linux.oracle.com/switch/centos/

That page seems to say that Oracle Linux is everything that Centos was prior to
today's announcement.

But someone else here just said that the first thing Oracle Linux does is to
sign you up for an Oracle account.

So, for people who know a lot more about these things than I do, what's the downside of
using Oracle Linux versus Centos?  I assume that things like epel/rpmfusion/etc will work
just as they do under Centos since it's supposed to be bit-for-bit compatible like Centos
was.  What does the "sign up with Oracle" stuff actually do, and can you
cancel, avoid, or strip it out if you don't want it?

Based on my extremely limited knowledge around Oracle Linux, it sounds like
that might be a go-to solution for Centos refugees.

But is it, really?

Yes, it is better than Centos and in some aspects better than RHEL:

- faster security updates than Centos, directly behind RHEl
- better kernels than RHEL and CentOS (UEKs) wih more features
- free to download (no subscription needed):
https://yum.oracle.com/oracle-linux-isos.html
- free to use:
https://yum.oracle.com/oracle-linux-8.html
- massive amount of extra packes and full rebuild of EPEL (same link):
https://yum.oracle.com/oracle-linux-8.html