On 12/14/20 3:47 PM, Leroy Tennison wrote:
> The whole issue of "support longevity" raises an issue I've been pondering,
> is 10-year support a good thing from a security perspective?  At work we use
> Ubuntu LTS which has only a five year support cycle (you can pay for an extra
> five years) but, even with that, issues have arisen.  Although they do
> security and bug fix updates, the package versions remain basically the same.
>  So, if a package is on version 1.2.3, it remains 1.2.3 with bug fixes and
> security patches for the life of the distribution. Does Red Hat/CentOS do the
> same thing?

Yes.  Nearly always.  Exceptions are in release notes as "rebasing".

> The reason I ask is I ran into an issue where OpenVPN was updated in a later
> release to support a more robust security architecture which wasn't available
> until I upgraded.  A configuration change could have addressed a security
> weakness in the older version so that the issue wasn't one of a security
> patch.

This, in a nutshell, is why it is better for stability within a release, to
back-port fixes.  Yes, it takes a lot more effort by Red Hat to maintain
software this way.

When you decide a package needs a significantly newer version, that's when you
start looking at new releases of the OS.