On 26/12/2020 18:56, Frank Cox wrote:
On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 12:25:50 -0600
Valeri Galtsev wrote:

Then let's make a little contest out of it: what's the most stupid thing you've
done as a system administrator ?

Cleaning up some obsolete users on a system that accepts remote ssh logins and
somehow managing to remove my own ssh key too.  Which I discovered about ten
minutes later when I went to log in again and found that I had locked myself
out.

Not one I did, but one I was part of. A co-worker and I were discussing something or other (might even have been work related) leaning on top one of the VAX 11/750s in the machine room. They are just a convenient elbow height. Suddenly the console spewed into life, and for some strange reason the system was booting. Oops, my co-worker had managed to press their stomach against the reset button!

Mind, I can also recall the same co-worker sorting out a hardware problem that had been baffling the engineers for an hour - the on-off switch was in the off position!

--
J Martin Rushton MBCS