On 1/22/21 1:46 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 16:15:28 +0100
Simon Matter wrote:

OL specific stuff like UEK
Here might be a good place to ask a question that I haven't really found a
definitive answer to.

What, exactly, is the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel?

RHEL/Centos 8 has kernel version 4.18.  The current Fedora kernel is 5.8.  The
current kernel listed on the main page of kernel.org is 5.10.

Where does UEK 5.14.x fit in here?  Is it a fixed/enhanced/customized version
of the current kernel on kernel.org, is it something to do with Fedora, or is
it something entirely different and unrelated that runs on Oracle's own
versioning scheme?

And on that note, what does UEK do for you that the standard RHEL kernel
doesn't?   Would the average schmoe like me actually gain anything by running
UEK over the standard Redhat kernel if I'm not running stuff like the Oracle
database?

Oracle UEK kernel is newer (based on 5.4.17 I think), probably support more hardware. Also, Oracle UEK kernel supports BTRFS filesystem, that Redhat don't even allow you to use it. I use UEK because this.