On 9/7/2021 1:14 μ.μ., Gionatan Danti wrote:

While I fully understand & agree on the motivation for keeping Rocky (and other clones) 1:1 with Red Hat, it should be understood that current RHEL packages selection itself is drifting away from small/medium business needs. So the core issue is a more fundamental one: Red Hat, our upstream, is walking away from traditional server needs.

IMHO, this is a more fundamental discussion, which is beyond future CentOS versions and alternative RHEL-compatible projects and it deserves a separate thread.

In any case, I think that the existence and continuous availability / maintenance of external RHEL / CentOS-compatible repositories probably provides a solution for most use scenarios. Of course, I cannot possibly know all actual needs, so I may be wrong.

I need to recognize the fact that it appears there is still a shortage of packages for CentOS 8, even though it is active for quite long already. Maybe this is mainly due to EPEL difficulties.

Nick