Akemi Yagi wrote:
On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Frank Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 19:29:01 +0200
 Rudi Ahlers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > I build mine as root ( a normal user account gave me some erorrs), and
 > all seems well?

 Use yum to install rpmdevtools.  Then rpmdev-setuptree will do all of the work
 that's required to build rpms as a user.

I suppose rpmdevtools is only available from EPEL.  But the following
procedures will do the job:

cd
mkdir -p rpmbuild/{BUILD,RPMS,SOURCES,SPECS,SRPMS}
echo "%_topdir %(echo $HOME)/rpmbuild" > .rpmmacros

Then as root, yum install rpm-build

Johnny wrote a nice article here about building SRPMs:

http://www.linuxhelp.net/forums/How_to_Build_Enterprise_Srpms_t3384.html

Never had any problems since following Johnny's advice :)

You can modify Johnny's scripts to build for different targets (i386, i686, x86_64 etc). For a build target of x86_64, you may want to specify -m64.