Ever since I upgraded all my systems to CentOS 5.1 I have been getting reports from users about "all their windows disappearing". A little digging revealed that they meant all gnome-terminal windows. Since there is only one gnome-terminal process by default for all your open terminal windows and tabs, a crash of that process means losing all your terminal windows. These crashes often (but not always) occur over night when the system is otherwise idle.

A quick Google search found a problem on Ubuntu related to VTE (the terminal emulator widget used by gnome-terminal) but not much else of interest. Has anyone on this list experienced this? I find it hard to believe I'm the only one. I never saw this issue while running CentOS 4.X on these systems...

Alfred