Michael Simpson wrote:
Yup

All upgrades / updates in the major versions (5.0 -> 5.1 -> 5.1) will happen
automatically when you run yum upgrade, and when it's officially released
for updates. And I'm almost certain most, if not every, other Linux distro
also works like this

sorry for the studid question but do we use yum upgrade or yum update
and what is the difference between the 2

mike

man yum  :)

update If run without any packages, update will update every currently installed package. If one or more packages are specified, Yum will only update the listed packages. While updating packages, yum will ensure that all dependencies are satisfied. If no package matches the given package name(s), they are assumed to be a shell glob and any matches are then installed.

If the --obsoletes flag is present yum will include package obsoletes in its calculations - this makes it better for dis- tro-version changes, for example: upgrading from somelinux 8.0 to somelinux 9.

      check-update
Implemented so you could know if your machine had any updates that needed to be applied without running it interactively. Returns exit value of 100 if there are packages available for an update. Also returns a list of the pkgs to be updated in list format. Returns 0 and no packages are available for update.

      upgrade
Is the same as the update command with the --obsoletes flag set. See update for more details.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com