Robert Moskowitz wrote:
wow!!!!

Johnny Hughes wrote:
Robert Moskowitz wrote:
thanks for replying.

R P Herrold wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

I followed the setup instructions from
http://www.owlriver.com/tips/non-root/

... the author is known to me ;)

Assuming that you are in /etc/sudoers!!!!
And then asked for a password.
Which password? My userid or root's? I tried both and after 3 tries got:

me is not in sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
removing '/home/me/rpmbuild/BUILD/hipl--main--2.6/hipl-1.0.4'

The end user account password is what sudo is looking for ... as noted, it seems you had not configured /etc/sudoers to include you.

So I look at /etc/sudoers and do not understand what I am suppose to do there.

A sample entry which permits a single user machine to do root operations when needed, but to stay in its non-priv'd mode most of the time looks like something as simple as:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ sudo grep herrold /etc/sudoers
Password: [here, the end user 'herrold's password]
herrold ALL=(ALL) ALL
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$

... We need root rights to read /etc/sudoers, or else it would have not been needed except for teaching reasons.

A bit of help would be greatly appreciated!

Hope this helps .. I wonder a bit at your description of untarring, ./configure'ing, etc ... that is not part of rpm building from .spec or SRPM.
Here is what I was told to do:

wget http://hipl.hiit.fi/hipl/hipl.tar.gz

you can build on CentOS by executing:

tar xvzf hipl.tar.gz
cd hipl--main--2.6
./autogen.sh
./configure
make rpm

("make install" works too, but installs to /usr/local by default)

Software requirements are listed here:

http://infrahip.hiit.fi/hipl/manual/ch02.html

OK ... after several changes to the spec file, I got this to build. The process was rather intense, so rather than trying to document it I will post a good SRPM after I verify that all the build requirements are there and it will also build the same in mock.

So, in a couple minutes expect a link to download a GOOD SRPM for this package that builds on centos-5 i386 and x86_64

I am SOOOO thankful.

No problem

You will definitely get a line of recognition for my IETF presentation on SIP over HIP over Teredo in two weeks! I should not have been sooo schrunched for time. I waited for management to get me the hardware for this 'experiment', and 4 months later it is finally ordered; I have had to cobble gear together....

look here:

http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/hipl/

You should be able to build that on CentOS-5.x with no problems. Now, whether it does everything you need, I don't know.

Also be advised that 1.0.3 is the latest stable release from them, and 1.0.4 seems to be something from SVN and not a normal release.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes