On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 at 5:53pm, Fred Kienker wrote

It's a dell 2900 :
quad core XEON (with a spare slot for a 2nd quad core chip)
8G memory (expandable to 64G)
8 hot swap SATA HD slots onboard
PERC6i RAID controller
*snip*
Now I want to be able to monitor the box, specifically with
respect to the RAID drives so I'll know if one has gone bad
and the RAID configuration has failed over to it. Anyone have
any suggestions for tools to use ?

You need the Dell OMSA tools. They are easy to install and work great with CentOS. Google Dell and OMSA to find them. You can add the Dell repository to yum to make it even easier to install and maintain them.

If you're like me and generally hate vendor tools, I believe that Dell's PERC controllers are rebadged LSIs. LSI has a command line tool you can use to monitor them. MegaCli is more than just a bit obtuse, but a little bit of scripting goes a long way.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin