Craig White wrote:
On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 10:31 +0200, Rainer Duffner wrote:
Craig White schrieb:
----
Sure but that's not typically the realm I play in. My typical client is
< 50 users and having a server just for authentication is harder to
justfiy.
In that case, shelling out the 7-something grand for RHE-IPA is probably
also not an option, I assume.
----
Reminds me of the old joke whose punchline goes something like, we've
already determined what you are and now we're just haggling over the
price.
----
I myself have an older server which doesn't support hardware
virtualization. Perhaps you're right, I set up something in
virtualization and use Fedora but the churn rate of Fedora is just too
much, especially for an authentication server.

But maybe this is of help:
http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-build-rhel-ipa-rpms-for-centos-5
----
I listed that URL in my first post on this thread. I used that as a
semi-guide but got build requisites from EPEL & Fedora-10-SRPMS instead
just to have a shot at building 1.2.0 instead of the 1.0.0 version
discussed on that page.

Thanks

Craig

I've been watching the discussion and read the RHEL docs about IPA and thought "At Last" something that brings together all the bits for the little guy. Now it appears the RH is going to drop the ball. I have tried OpenLDAP and currently have a CentOS-DS running but am missing the bits that glue it all together. The actual core services (LDAP (either variant) Kerberos PAM samba etc) are simple enough to install on CentOS but the stuff that makes it "just work" is very difficult for me to get my head around and thus I've never actually got a setup working well enough to risk on my clients. The excellent how-to for amavis http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Amavisd is just wonderful. Congratulations and thanks to the author - it just works. We need more of this!! Back to secure authentication and having a single (replicated) place for all the users/groups/policy.... It seems enterprises have the bucks and folk to learn all the mumbo-jumbo needed to get it working, or the other scenario is integrating with microsoft based ads, neither of which fits my needs. I have purchased text books on LDAP etc and still cannot get a recipe that works for a small enterprise with maybe two or three servers, one or two locations and less than 50 people. I end up doing all the admin by hand - samba is working, the clients can simply log in once on their windoze machine but oh the back ground work to keep it going.....sigh.
Any good documents or apps out there?
Rob
begin:vcard
fn:Rob Kampen