In the past I only heard that /proc and /sys are "RAM directories", now I get /dev as well. thank you.

Tang Jianwei

On 07/06/2010 10:14 PM, John Kennedy wrote:

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 10:01 AM, <m.r...@5-cent.us <mailto:m.r...@5-cent.us>> wrote:

    Jerry McAllister wrote:
    > On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 06:41:06PM +0800, Tang Jianwei wrote:
    >
    >> I tried to create some swap files in /dev directory for my desktop.
    >> the dd and mkswap were ok. but when I try to swapon it, i get this:
    >>
    >> # swapon /dev/myswap
    >> swapon: /dev/myswap: Invalid argument
    >>
    >> but when I mv the file to some other directory like /mnt or /, the
    >> swapon works.
    >>
    >> could sb. tell me why?

    Well, /dev is *not* a good place for anything but device files.

    > /dev is not a real directory for data files.
    <snip>
    Um, er, what do you mean about it not being a "real" directory?

             mark

I would say he means "real" as exists on a hard drive like /home of /var as opposed to "virtual" as exists in RAM like /proc.
John
--
John Kennedy