On 04/09/2012 07:31, Artifex Maximus wrote:

The first time (16:39:13.653674) client cannot sync to the server but
second time (16:39:43.145984) that was successful even if there is a
'bad udp cksum'. BTW, is it normal? Tcpdump says there was traffic and
sync happened later so rule is OK I think.

When tried later sync needs three tries for success. Other time needs
only one. Might depend on Moon phase. It looks like I have some
network equipment related problem as well. Therefore I have to talk
with some Cisco expert.

At the moment I have problem with rsyslogd because there is no log of
denied packets but that is another story. :-)

Thanks for all of your help!

Without seeing the full timeline of events, you should bear in mind that there will be a gap between the time that an NTP server is started before other clocks are allowed to sync to it. This makes sense as you wouldn't want to sync time to a source that itself isn't reliable. Once the NTP server fulfils some criteria and believes it's clock to be reliable, it will allow other systems to sync to it.

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNA, CCNAS
NetSecSpec Ltd