On May 22, 2013, at 4:14 PM, Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 22.05.2013 21:58, schrieb Glenn Eychaner:
>> So, I have a CentOS 6 system, and I want to make several clones of it.  I'm
>> using Clonezilla to clone the drives; that's no problem.  But the drive
>> UUIDs are driving me up the wall. After cloning, the two drives have the
>> same UUID, but I'd like each clone to have different UUIDs so there's no
>> possibility of a conflict when I am running diagnostics with two drives
>> installed, etc. But when I change the UUID of the /boot or / partition (even
>> if I update /etc/fstab), the system won't boot; it GRUBs OK (after I use
>> recovery mode to rerun grub-install), but never gets to the 'Welcome to
>> CentOS " message.  Do I need to "rebless" vmlinuz or initrd or initramfs in
>> the /boot partition if I change the drive UUID?
>
> for the inital boot /etc/fstab is *irrelevant*
> logical thinking: if it can read it the partition is already mounted
>
> * at least GRUB config contains a line like
> "root=UUID=b935b5db-0051-4f7f-83ac-6a6651fe0988"

Not on my system; CentOS 6 uses grub 0.97, and my grub.conf file doesn't
contain any UUIDs that I can find.

> * dracut / initramfs contains at least the UUID for /boot
> * did yiou try "dracut -f" after the changes?

That's probably the problem; I will make another attempt in the morning, if I
decide that I care.  I may simply decide that I don't care if I have duplicated
UUIDs between workstations, if it becomes too much trouble to fix.  :-)

-G.
--
Glenn Eychaner (geycha...@lco.cl)
Telescope Systems Programmer, Las Campanas Observatory