On Monday, January 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Ben Rowland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering using Ceph to create a cluster across several data
> centres, with the strict requirement that writes should go to both
> DCs. This seems possible by specifying rules in the CRUSH map, with
> an understood latency hit resulting from purely synchronous writes.
>
> The part I'm unsure about is how the RADOS GW fits into this picture.
> For high availability (and to improve best-case latency on reads),
> we'd want to run a gateway in each data centre. However, the first
> paragraph of the following post suggests this is not possible:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ceph.devel/12238
>
> Is there a hard restriction on how many radosgw instances can run
> across the cluster, or is the point of the above post more about a
> performance hit?

It's talking about the performance hit. Most people can't afford data-center
level connectivity between two different buildings. ;) If you did have a Ceph
cluster split across two DC (with the bandwidth to support them) this will work
fine. There aren't any strict limits on the number of gateways you stick on a
cluster, just the scaling costs associated with cache invalidation
notifications.

> It seems to me it should be possible to run more
> than one radosgw, particularly if each instance communicates with a
> local OSD which can proxy reads/writes to the primary (which may or
> may not be DC-local).

They aren't going to do this, though — each gateway will communicate with the
primaries directly.
-Greg