From: ceph-devel-ow...@vger.kernel.org
[mailto:ceph-devel-ow...@vger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of Haomai Wang
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2014 12:43 AM
To: Wido den Hollander
Cc: Sage Weil; Josh Durgin; ceph-devel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Feature]Proposal for adding a new flag named shared to support
performance and statistic purpose

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Wido den Hollander <w...@42on.com> wrote:
> On 06/05/2014 09:01 AM, Haomai Wang wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> Previously I sent a mail about the difficult of rbd snapshot size
>> statistic. The main solution is using object map to store the changes.
>> The problem is we can't handle with multi client concurrent modify.
>>
>> Lack of object map(like pointer map in qcow2), it cause many problems
>> in librbd. Such as clone depth, the deep clone depth will cause
>> remarkable latency. Usually each clone wrap will increase two times
>> of latency.
>>
>> I consider to make a tradeoff between multi-client support and
>> single-client support for librbd. In practice, most of the
>> volumes/images are used by VM, there only exist one client will
>> access/modify image. We can't only want to make shared image possible
>> but make most of use cases bad. So we can add a new flag called
>> "shared" when creating image. If "shared" is false, librbd will
>> maintain a object map for each image. The object map is considered to
>> durable, each image_close call will store the map into rados. If the
>> client  is crashed and failed to dump the object map, the next client
>> open the image will think the object map as out of date and reset the
>> objectmap.
>

> Why not flush out the object map every X period? Assume a client runs
> for weeks or months and you would keep that map in memory all the time
> since the image is never closed.

Yes, as a period job is also a good alter

--
Best Regards,

Wheat

PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this electronic mail message is
intended only for the use of the designated recipient(s) named above. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that you have received this message in error and that any review,
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by
telephone or e-mail (as shown above) immediately and destroy any and all copies
of this message in your possession (whether hard copies or electronically
stored copies).