On 1-12-2015 15:35, Sage Weil wrote:
On Tue, 1 Dec 2015, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
On 1-12-2015 14:30, Sage Weil wrote:
On Tue, 1 Dec 2015, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
On 30-11-2015 14:21, Sage Weil wrote:
The problem with all of the porting code in general is that it is doomed
to break later on if we don't have (at least) ongoing build tests.  In
order for a FreeBSD or OSX port to continue working we need VMs that run
either gitbuilder or a jenkins job or similar so that we can tell when
it
breaks.

If someone is willing to run a VM somewhere to do this we can pretty
easily stick it on the gitbuilder page at

        http://ceph.com/gitbuilder.cgi

Hi Sage,

Could you give some pointers as to where to start running the tests.
I see a lot of "basic" tests to see if the platform is actually
conformant.

So before plunging into running ceph-mon and stuff, it would perhaps be
better to actually run (parts of) the basic required tests..

I would start with 'make check' from src/... that's what we'd actually
want the gitbuilder to do.

I was running that at the moment....
Found the suggestion on the developers pages, in the manual section.
Sort of hidden at the bottom. :)

Did kill it in between, but now when I run it, it just only generates the
report.
So I just went make clean, which is rather too much...
But could not really figure out the makefiles in test (yet)

How do I reset the test results?

I don't think there is anything to reset... just re-ru make check.  The
exception is probably just if you hit control-c but it left running
processes behind (./stop.sh should clean those up).

'mmm,
Strange I had it generate tests.... at one point.
And now just plain nothing....

Server has rebooted, so there should have nothing been left.

At least, that's the case on Linux.. maybe the (auto)tools are a bit
different on *BSD?

I think in the short run it will not be the code that is going to be a
major porting pain. But getting the run-time environment ironed out is
just plain (hard) work. Things where /bin/sh expects certain bash-isms.
Where paths have not been setup to the fullest all the way back into
./configure: like ${initrddir} => /etc/init.d versus /usr/local/etc/rc.d.
Probably plenty more like these.

I've also seen calls in the code to things like:
        arch
        hdparm
things that just are not there in (basic) FreeBSD....
But we'll get around al of that.

I survived porting Unix tools (including UUCP) to Win95 and OS/2. So
until we get to kernel things I just keep pushing along.

Just for clarity:
Gitbuilder just runs:
        make check
and collects the output?
So that would be the way to tackle this, get complete (successful) output
from:
        gmake clean && gmake test

--WjW