On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Sage Weil <sw...@redhat.com> wrote:
> The work to transition to cmake has stalled somewhat.  I've tried to use
> it a few times but keep running into issues that make it unusable for me.
> Not having make check is a big one, but I think the hackery required to
> get that going points to the underlying problem(s).
>
> I seems like the main problem is that automake puts all build targets in
> src/ and cmake spreads them all over build/*.  This makes that you can't
> just add ./ to anything that would normally be in your path (or,
> PATH=.:$PATH, and then run, say, ../qa/workunits/cephtool/test.sh).
> There's a bunch of kludges in vstart.sh to make it work that I think
> mostly point to this issue (and the .libs things).  Is there simply an
> option we can give cmake to make it put built binaries directly in build/?
>
> Stepping back a bit, it seems like the goals should be
>
> 1. Be able to completely replace autotools.  I don't fancy maintaining
> both in parallel.

Is cmake a viable option in all environments we expect ceph (or any
part of) to be compiled on? (e.g. aix, solaris, freebsd, different
linux arm distros, etc.)

> 2. Be able to run vstart etc from the build dir.

There's an awful hack currently in vstart.sh and stop.sh that checks
for CMakeCache.txt in the current work directory to verify whether we
built using cmake or autotools. Can we make this go away?
We can do something like having the build system create a
'ceph-setenv.sh' script that would set the env (or open a shelll) with
the appropriate paths.